Vata derives from the elements of Space and Air and translates as “wind” or “that which moves things.” It is the energy of movement and the force governing all biological activity. Vata is often called the “King of the Doshas,” since it governs the body’s greater life force and gives motion to Pitta and Kapha.
Just as the wind in balance provides movement and expression to the natural world, the balanced Vata individual is active, creative, and gifted with a natural ability to express and communicate. When the wind in a Vata type rages like a hurricane, negative qualities quickly overshadow these positive attributes. Common signs of Vata imbalance include anxiety and bodily disorders related to dryness, such as dry skin and constipation.
The qualities of Vata are dry, rough, light, cold, subtle, and mobile. A Vata individual will display physical and mental characteristics that reflect these qualities in both a balanced and an imbalanced state.
The main locations of Vata in the body are the colon, thighs, bones, joints, ears, skin, brain, and nerve tissues. Physiologically, Vata governs anything related to movement, such as breathing, talking, nerve impulses, movements in the muscles and tissues, circulation, assimilation of food, elimination, urination, and menstruation. Psychologically, Vata governs communication, creativity, flexibility, and quickness of thought.
Key Words to remember: Grounding, Warming, Routine
When Vata is out of balance, too much air has accumulated in mind, body, and environment. The result is a sense of un-groundedness. The best way to balance excess Vata is to bring more earth and stability into the physiology. Think relaxing.
- Go to bed and awaken at the same timeevery day
- Meditate twice a day to quiet the mind
- Practice yoga to connect with your body
- Wear Relaxing fragrances
- Eat three meals per day and favorsweet, sour, and salty tastes
- Perform a slow daily self massage with warm Relaxing herbalized oil
- Drink Relaxing Herbal Tea
- Look for opportunities to create rhythm and routine in your life
- Diffuse Relaxing fragrances into your environment
- Finish things once you start them